Those salon appointments on hair spa day are something all of us look forward to. It is most of our version of #selflove. But let’s be real. Are those chemical-filled products that they use on your hair doing it any good? And how many of us can afford to keep doing that every other week? After all, those salon spas aren’t really pocket friendly.
If you really want that Rapunzel-like hair growth, you will have to put in a little more effort. The good news is that your road to boosted hair growth is within the comfort of your own home with minimal expense. We have curated a list of things you can do at home to help increase hair growth.
Take a look at these 9 natural tips.
- The Hair oil: It’s time to bring back the good old days of your mom and grandma oiling your hair. Depending on the type of oil that you choose, the benefits also differ. Coconut oil is a popular choice for hair growth. It can reduce the amount of protein loss in your hair. It also helps protect the hair from damage. Depending on the hair problems that you face, you can also use coconut oil as a carrier oil and add other essential oils like tea tree to fight hair problems like dandruff. There are also multiple over-the-counter hair oils available that make your life easier. Choose one that has a blend of Ayurvedic ingredients like amla, hibiscus, Brahmi, bhringraj, etc. that target hair growth problems.
- Scalp massage: Along with applying warm oil, it is also very important to give your scalp a massage. One of the reasons why you like going to the salon for a hair spa is the relaxing massage that comes with it. However, instead of having to spend thousands, you could easily do it free of cost at home. Either give yourself a 15-20 minute hair massage a couple of days in a week or have a friend or partner do it for you. Scalp massage with organic oil for hair growth will induce hair growth, boost blood circulation, and help you alleviate stress.
- Egg hair mask: DIY hair masks can offer a bunch of benefits to the hair when you choose the right ingredients. Egg contains nutrients that strengthen your hair strands and boost their growth. You can make different kinds of hair masks with eggs. You can pair it with coconut oil, honey, yoghurt, and many other ingredients. Keep the mask on your scalp for half an hour or so and wash it off with a mild chemical-free herbal shampoo.
- Hair supplements & nutrition: When you eat food, the nutrients are distributed by your body based on priority. This means that most of the nutrients go for all important functions before it reaches the hair. Hence, if you aren’t consuming the right amount of nutrients, your hair might be lacking the necessary nutrients. To tackle this problem, it is advised to consume hair supplements. Hair supplements are one of the easiest ways to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals, especially if you have a busy and fast-paced schedule.
- Work on mental health: Stress is often a cause of hair loss. If you have faced any life-altering events, the death of a loved one, abuse, and other unfortunate traumatic events, chances are, you are suffering from mental health problems. Start therapy, yoga, meditation, or other practices that can help you deal with stress better.
- Rethink everyday habits: There are a lot of things we unknowingly do on a daily basis that are affecting hair growth. If you are someone who fashions a tight hairstyle like a ponytail, top bun, braid, etc. on a daily basis, chances are, the traction caused can cause hair fall. Start sleeping on silk pillowcases to reduce friction. If you have a habit of combing wet hair, avoid doing that as hair is the most fragile when wet. In general, be gentle to the hair.
- Stay hydrated: For strong hair that is not prone to breakage, proper hydration is mandatory. It helps maintain good hair texture. Being well hydrated is also a great way of preventing dandruff, itchiness, and a dry scalp.
- Aloe vera: The various vitamins in aloe vera helps in cell turnover. Aloe vera works best for calming inflammation. Hence, it helps reduce dandruff and an itchy scalp. Aloe vera is popularly used for sunburns. Using it on the scalp may also reduce sun damage. Vitamin B12 and folic acid in aloe vera also help reduce hair fall. You can use it half an hour before showering and wash it off with a mild chemical-free herbal shampoo.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is the best natural ingredient you can use for balancing the pH of hair. It helps ward off bacteria and keeps the scalp clean. One way to add apple cider vinegar to your hair care routine is by making an ACV rinse. Combine a few tablespoons of water with a lot of water and use it as a hair rinse. You could also buy shampoos and conditioners with apple cider vinegar as the main ingredient.
Trying some of these tips is sure to help boost hair growth. The best part about all these tips is that they can all be easily done in the comfort of your home. One of the first things you have to change in your hair care routine is switching those harsh shampoos and conditioners to chemical-free herbal shampoo. Tru Hair has a range of products that are free of harsh chemicals like parabens, sulphates, LLP, etc. Get shampoo for hair fall, organic oil for hair growth, herbal hair powder, and the solution for all your hair problems from Tru Hair.
Dr. Tambe (Ayurvedic Practioner)
Dr. Tambe is an Ayurvedic Consultant, practicing in Satara City, Maharashtra for the last 45 years.He comes from a long line of Ayurvedic doctors. His grandfather and father were both Vaidyas, therefore he wanted to continue the family legacy.This year, his family will celebrate 100 years of Ayurvedic service