Somewhere in the corner of your garden is a forgotten pot of aloe vera. And somehow, this forgotten plant flourishes better than the rose plant you give all your attention to. This ability to thrive with the bare minimum is only the tip of what aloe vera is capable of.
From healing burns to lowering blood sugar, aloe vera can help with a range of benefits, one of which is hair care. The succulent has translucent flesh that can be used in multiple ways to improve your hair health.
Aloe vera has 75 potentially active constituents: vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, salicylic acids, amino acids, and more. These combined nutrients can help you deal with hair problems like dandruff, hair fall, frizz. This elixir of a plant can be used by itself or be combined with other ingredients to enhance the results.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Hair:
- Moisturising: The high water content of aloe vera helps keep the scalp and hair hydrated. It helps lock in moisture, fighting dryness. Using aloe vera gel on your scalp will result in smooth, soft locks that look and feel healthy.
- Reduces dandruff: Aloe vera has been proven to reduce dandruff significantly. Dandruff caused by dryness is out of the question if the scalp is kept moisturised. Aloe vera has properties that fight fungal and bacterial microbes. This helps keep the scalp clean and clear of dandruff-causing microbes. Tea tree oil and aloe vera are one of the best combinations to deal with stubborn dandruff.
- Helps itchy scalp: An inflammatory skin condition named seborrheic dermatitis can make your scalp red and itchy. The soothing property of aloe vera helps reduce itchiness. The fatty acids in the plant have anti-inflammatory properties that keep flaky and itchy scalp away. It also has antiseptic properties to help heal infections and other scalp infections that may be causing itchiness.
- Cleanses the scalp: Aloe vera is a natural cleanser that helps remove dead skin cells, dirt, excess sebum, and even tough product build-up. The antimicrobial property of aloe vera keeps the scalp clean without stripping it off of its natural oils or making the scalp too dry.
- Protect the hair: Hair problems caused by UV radiation are often ignored. The damage caused to the hair because of constant subjection to the sun’s harsh rays is a matter of concern. The high collagen content in aloe vera makes it the perfect opponent to fight sun damage and cool the scalp.
- Styling product: Aloe vera can be used to style the hair. The plant’s gel has a serum-like slimy texture that will help in styling your hair the way you want to.
- Reduces frizz: Aloe vera makes the hair soft. It helps retain your natural oils that, in turn, keep frizzy hair away. The hydrating and moisturising property of aloe keeps dryness away and, with it, frizzy hair.
- Improves hair growth: By improving blood circulation and providing the scalp with the many important nutrients needed for hair growth, it contributes to better hair growth. Vitamins A, C, and E in aloe vera improve cell turnover, promoting new hair growth. It also has nutrients like vitamin B12 and folic acid, known to reduce hair fall. So, the combined result of reduced hair fall and boosted hair growth is healthy, long, and thick hair.
- Balances hair pH: Most over-the-counter hair products have the wrong pH for the hair, disrupting the balance. However, aloe vera has a pH similar to that of hair. Using aloe vera regularly will help bring the balance back, which may have been changed due to using the wrong kind of products.
How To Use Aloe Vera For Hair
- Aloe vera gel: The simplest thing to do is scoop out the aloe vera gel, blend it well, and apply that directly on the scalp. Massage this well and keep it on for an hour or so. Based on the hair problem you want to address, you can also add other ingredients to this blend, like essential oils, carrier oils, etc. For example, if you face dandruff problems, use tea tree oil. Tea tree oil and aloe vera, when combined, can treat dandruff effectively because of their antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Products with aloe vera: Most of the over-the-counter products are too harsh on the hair because they contain harmful chemicals. However, the next time you choose a hair product, look for one with aloe vera as the main ingredient. The Tru Hair Tea Tree Shampoo, Onion Shampoo, Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo, Herbal Hair Powder, and more have aloe vera as one of their key ingredients. These products are also free of harmful chemicals like LLPs, Sulphates, Parabens, etc. Aloe vera in a product is highly beneficial as you can use it without going through the hassle of extracting the gel by yourself.
- Hair mask: The list of hair masks you can make with aloe vera is exhaustive. Aloe vera is one ingredient that goes well with many other ingredients. You can make your hair mask at home using aloe vera and ingredients like yoghurt, honey, onion juice, etc. Depending on the hair problem you have, you can choose ingredients known to help with it. You can also try the Tru Hair Overnight Hair Mask that has a blend of rare Ayurvedic ingredients like aloe vera, amla, Mehandi, onion, Chandan, etc. All you have to do is apply the paste to washed and dried hair, massage, leave it overnight and wash off the next day. It gives you intense nourishment, adds shine to your hair, and fights hair fall.
- Styling: As mentioned, aloe vera’s serum-like consistency makes it a good styling agent. You can blend it with a few drops of essential oil to smell good and bring it to your desired consistency. Take a small amount to your palm and rub it along the lengths of your hair for a frizz-free, shiny finish.
Aloe vera is truly one magic ingredient that can tackle multiple hair problems. All you have to do is choose a medium to include aloe vera into your hair care routine that works best with you. Unfortunately, our busy lifestyles hardly leave us any time to make a potion out of aloe vera and apply it to the hair frequently. This is why products that contain aloe vera as the main ingredient are a godsend.
Tru Hair has a range of products that contains aloe vera. From shampoos and conditioners to hair masks and oils, Tru Hair’s products contain not just aloe vera but other beneficial Ayurvedic ingredients that can transform your hair. So enjoy the goodness of ancient Ayurveda made to suit your hair problems.
Dr. Tambe (Ayurvedic Practioner)
Dr. Tambe is an Ayurvedic Consultant, practicing in Satara City, Maharashtra for the last 45 years.He comes from a long line of Ayurvedic doctors. His grandfather and father were both Vaidyas, therefore he wanted to continue the family legacy.This year, his family will celebrate 100 years of Ayurvedic service