Salt and pepper hair may be one of the hottest hair trends of the year but it sure rings an alarm bell if this hot trend was not the result of your choice. Even if you were willing to pay thousands to get your hair coloured grey, the minute you see one appear by itself, panic begins. You start analysing your whole life, trying to figure out if work is stressing you out or if your family has a history of early greys.
When you notice the first grey hair, you go through a series of emotions not just because you saw a grey hair strand on your scalp, but more because you know there’s more to follow, and soon. Now, that’s a scary thought. Well, thankfully for you, we are going to spill some secrets that are all you need for healthy, dark hair!
Do’s & Don’ts For Premature Greying Of Hair
As your hair follicles age, they slowly start producing lesser colour. This is often an inevitable process. However, this process may occur faster in some people due to a multitude of reasons. Instead of giving up when you see the first grey, there are many things you can do and things that you should stop doing that will help in delaying greying.
- Keep an eye on your parents: Greying hair most often has a lot to do with genetics. If your parents had premature greying of hair, then chances are, you will too. However, this does not mean you give up. While you can’t change your genes, you can take steps to slow down the process of greying. The sooner you notice patterns of premature greying in your parents, the sooner you can start protecting your hair.
- Mind your diet: Certain nutrients like Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9, protein, iron, decide the pigmentation of your skin, hair, nails. Make sure you eat a diet rich in nutrients that help protect your hair from premature greying and the production of melanin.
- Hot oil treatment: Pampering your hair with a hot oil massage is highly recommended to fight premature greying of hair. It not only fights the grey, but it also protects and strengthens the hair.
- Reduce stress: Stress is not a disease limited to your mind. If you are going through a stressful period, you will notice it in your body through breakouts, excess hair fall, greying of hair, weight loss, and more. Work on managing your stress with yoga, meditation and calming massages.
- Ayurvedic remedies: Ayurveda embraces many ingredients that actively fight premature greying of hair. Many Ayurvedic oils that you can prepare by yourself or even easily buy are packed with ingredients that help you delay greying. Ayurvedic oils are an all-rounder when it comes to hair issues. If you are wondering how to thicken your hair, regular hot oil massages with Ayurvedic oil should do the trick.
- Hair colour products with ammonia: The go-to remedy when you see a couple of greys is to buy hair dyes. Using hair colour with ammonia is a big no. Ammonia in dyes can damage your hair, change your hair texture, and even weaken the hair. Switch to ammonia-free dyes or make use of natural ingredients that help in restoring hair pigment.
- Harsh chemicals in hair products: With an over-the-counter product for any and every hair problem you could think of easily available, you are bound to try at least a few out. However, before you make the buy, take a minute to skim through the ingredients list. Stay away from products with harsh chemicals as they will accelerate greying of hair and will further damage your hair. Opt for shampoos and conditioners that are free of harsh chemicals.
- Plucking your greys: What is the first thing you want to do when you see grey hair? Make it disappear. While the fastest way to do that is plucking the hair, it may not be the smartest way. Unlike popular belief, plucking grey hair will not grow two in its place. However, the force will damage the hair follicle which is reason enough why you should stop plucking your hair.
- Smoke: Everyone knows that smoking is bad for their health. But how does it affect greying of hair? Smoking helps your body age faster and promotes premature greying.
- Sun exposure: You protect your skin with sunscreen but what is protecting your hair? UV rays from the sun affect the hair as well. Wear hats and scarfs when stepping out in the sun.
Since chemical-filled products are hardly the way to fight premature greying of hair, it is time we paid attention to the treasures under our noses. Many ingredients that we are often surrounded by are masters in avoiding greying of hair. Befriend these ingredients for healthy hair.
Ingredients To Befriend
- Curry leaves: Extract its juice, infuse it in oil and add it to your diet. Whatever the method, use curry leaves on hair. The vitamin B in curry leaves help restore natural hair colour and fight greying.
- Coconut oil: Yes, that bottle of coconut oil your grandmother uses is indeed the secret to her healthy hair even in her 80s. Coconut oil is not just the answer to how to thicken your hair but also to what can prevent greying of hair. Massage your scalp with heated coconut oil and leave it overnight.
- Amla oil: The antioxidant properties of amla and the vitamin c in it helps in reducing greying of hair. Look for Ayurvedic oils with Amla as the main ingredient.
- Onion: The star ingredient in many shampoos, oils, and whatnot is an allrounder that helps in reducing hair fall and greying to give you shiny, healthy hair. Onion can help in increasing catalase which is an enzyme to naturally darken your hair.
- Henna: One of the most popular natural dyes in South Asian countries is henna, aka, Mehendi. This natural dye immediately covers your grey while the regular use of it also helps thicken the hair.
- Bhringraj: Bhringraj is known for many of its amazing properties, one of which is darkening hair strands. While using bhringraj in an oil or paste form can darken the hair immediately, regular use will also fight premature greying.
- Hibiscus: Using hibiscus flowers and leaves as a natural dye is a process embraced by our ancestors. The nutrients in hibiscus allow it to dye the hair naturally and even delay greying of hair.
These ingredients that are the best at fighting premature greying of hair have been in use in Ayurvedic oils. While greying of hair may be inevitable, using Ayurvedic ingredients may be the best way to delay the process of greying. Using these ingredients allow us to steer clear of harsh chemicals while simultaneously providing our hair with nutrients that are needed for healthy hair.
Living in a fast-paced society has made us demand quick and effective solutions for all our problems. However, when it comes to hair care, the saying that all good things take time stands true. Ayurvedic oils of Tru Hair are packed with nutrients from rare herbs and ingredients that fight multiple hair problems. These oils do not contain any harsh chemicals like sulphates and parabens. At Tru Hair, we combine the goodness of traditional Ayurvedic herbs with advanced technology to suit your modern lifestyle.
Dr. Tambe (Ayurvedic Practioner)
Dr. Tambe is an Ayurvedic Consultant, practicing in Satara City, Maharashtra for the last 45 years.He comes from a long line of Ayurvedic doctors. His grandfather and father were both Vaidyas, therefore he wanted to continue the family legacy.This year, his family will celebrate 100 years of Ayurvedic service.