Did you know that 95% of our hair is made up of a structural protein called Keratin? This is why the path to growing healthier hair is through protein.
The protein that we consume through our diet is first used for the proper functioning of our organs. In the process, our hair often receives less protein for it to be healthy. This leads to many hair problems such as hair fall, breakage, split ends, frizz, and more.
In this blog, we discuss how using protein will benefit your hair and how you can add protein to your hair through inexpensive at-home treatments.
Benefits Of Protein For Hair
- Improving hair porosity: Hair porosity is what decides your hair’s ability to absorb and retain moisture. Having highly porous hair makes it dry, frizzy and easily breakable. Protein can help reduce the porosity of hair.
- Reducing hair loss: Most of the time, the majority of our hair is going through the Anagen phase. This is the phase that helps the hair grow. However, a lack of protein can force the hair to go into the resting or shedding phase resulting in hair fall. The proper intake of protein will ensure that the hair stays in the growing phase.
- Protect the hair: Our hair is often damaged due to excessive styling, high heat, harsh chemicals and pollution. To protect the hair from external factors, protein coats the hair creating a strong barrier.
- Improve the volume of hair: A lack of protein in hair can cause the hair to be limp and flat. The necessary level of protein will make it fuller and voluminous.
- Restore damaged hair tissue: Protein helps in repairing the damaged tissue of the hair, making it stronger and more durable. It also helps repair split ends on dry hair.
- Improve elasticity of hair: Stretch a strand of wet hair and let it go. If it bounces back to its original length, your hair has good elasticity. However, if it doesn’t, it tends to break easily. Protein helps improve the elasticity of hair and reduce breakage.
Now that you know the importance of providing your hair protein, let us look into how you can do that at home.
Protein Treatments At Home
Before you run to that posh salon and get the expensive keratin treatment done, know that there are much cheaper and effective ways of giving your hair a protein treatment at the comfort of your home!
Here are the inexpensive and hassle-free ways of giving your hair the necessary protein.
One of the most basic ways to ensure that your hair gets protein is by eating protein-rich foods. Adding protein-rich foods like lentils, almonds, oats, eggs, peanuts, chicken, fish and more in your daily intake of food will give your body the necessary amount of protein.
Apart from vegetables and meat, you could also take supplements. These protein supplements are in higher concentrations. However, it is recommended to take these supplements at the advice of a doctor.
Using Ayurvedic herbs and extracting its oil is a time-tested method of directly providing your hair the protein it lacks. Hot oil treatments with Ayurvedic hair oil for dandruff and hair fall work wonders on restoring the hair’s protein, protecting the hair, strengthening the hair follicles, and more.
Make use of plants in your garden and ingredients in your kitchen like amla, coconut oil, onions and more. Extract the juices out of them and infuse them in a carrier oil. This process might take a while but it is worth it. Heat this protein-filled oil and massage your scalp gently with it. Keep it on for a couple of hours or even overnight and wash it with a mild shampoo. Make sure you don’t burn the oil as it will lose its nutrients when overheated.
If this process is a hassle, simply get hold of good Ayurvedic hair oil for dandruff and hair fall with protein-rich ingredients in them like the Tru Hair Oil. The oil is made with rare herbs that will easily provide your hair with all the necessary nutrients it needs. You can also easily heat the oil in the Tru Heater to the optimum temperature and avoid the risk of overheating the oil or burning your scalp.
DIY Hair Masks:
Is caring for your hair with nice hair masks your favourite weekend activity? This time, let’s get the protein-specific ones and create a protein DIY hair mask.
- Egg + Yogurt: Eggs are known for being protein-rich. Combining this protein-rich power food with yogurt will ensure that your hair is cleansed well, leaving it smooth and shiny. Simply combine one egg and 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a bowl and apply this paste to the scalp and hair. Keep it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo. This is an effective hair pack for hair fall as well. Pro tip: If you have a dry scalp, use only the egg yolk and not the egg white.
- Mayonnaise + Avocado: The oil and egg in mayonnaise make it the ideal ingredient in a hair pack. Avocados are filled with Vitamins that can repair hair damage. Use a tablespoon of mayonnaise and one avocado and blend them well. Apply the mask evenly and wash off with a mild shampoo after 30 mins to one hour.
- Egg yolk + Almond oil + Honey: The protein-rich egg yolk when combined with almond oil that has fatty acids and honey with its hair conditioning properties creates a hair mask that locks in the goodness of all three ingredients. Use one egg yolk and a tablespoon of both almond oil and honey. Massage this mixture on the scalp. Wash it off after 15-20 minutes with a mild shampoo and enjoy your smooth and soft lustrous hair.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is rich in proteins and essential fatty acids. Warmed coconut oil has the ability to penetrate deep into the scalp and work in repairing hair damage. This hot oil treatment for dry hair should be massaged well for 15-20 minutes. You can keep this on for a couple of hours or overnight before washing it off. You can also add other ingredients like onion extract, avocado, honey and more to it.
Using these DIY hair masks on weekends is a fun way to spend time when you have some time to kill. Remember to patch-test and use it no more than once a week.
DIY hair masks are fun only if you have a lot of time on your hands. The process of prepping the ingredients, making the mask, applying it on the scalp, waiting, and washing can take quite a lot of time. There is another at-home treatment option for maintaining the protein in your hair.
Other At-Home Inexpensive Treatment
An alternative to creating a protein treatment from scratch is buying protein-infused products and using it by yourself. However, the one thing you have to avoid when using store-bought products is harsh chemicals. These chemicals further damage your hair and don’t let the protein fully repair and protect your hair.
The right kind of product will provide you with the necessary amount of protein through natural ingredients. One such product is the Tru Hair Protein Serum. Infused with Biotin, which is essential for the production of keratin, this protein serum for hair aims to repair and protect your hair in the easiest way possible. It also has onion as the main ingredient which will aid in faster hair growth, resulting in long, lustrous hair.
Since we lead a busy life, we often end up buying over-the-counter products to avoid the hassle of creating a treatment from scratch. As long as you are mindful about the product that you choose, this practice can save you valuable time and energy. Look for brands that use Ayurvedic natural ingredients and avoid harsh chemicals. Give your hair the protein it lacks in whatever healthy and safe way you can.