The number of viral internet hacks and tips for immediate hair growth are many. Most of them are a hoax and a few are backed by science. One such hair growth hack that had everyone standing upside down is the inversion method for hair growth.
When this trend hit the internet claiming that keeping your head inverted will make your hair grow 1 to 2 inches in a month, almost everyone gave it a shot. Why? Because the method was so simple that nobody had anything to lose by giving this a shot. While there were mixed reviews of the inversion method working on some people and others calling it a scam, it’s time we got to the bottom of this.
Does It Really Work?
The inversion method is where you invert yourself or your head so that the blood flow is directed to your scalp. How this works is that when your head is inverted, your hair follicles get more blood flow. This leads to better oxygenation and rejuvenation.
Hence, using this logical explanation, this method that sounds too good to be true can actually work in boosting hair growth. Experts say that when this technique is done the right way, you can see hair growth of 1-2 inches in a month. Though the method is named the inversion method, it does not mean that just inverting your head all the time will boost hair growth. There is a right way to do it and any other variations of this method may even end up hurting you. So, here’s how you can do it the right way.
How To Do The Inversion Method For Hair Growth?
For doing the inversion method, there are two main steps — Oil massage for the hair and Inverting your head.
Step one: Giving your scalp an oil massage.
- Choose an Ayurvedic hair oil for hair growth that works best for your hair.
- Prep the hair by detangling it and sectioning it for easy application of oil.
- Use warm oil for increased effectiveness.
- Carefully apply the warm oil all over the scalp with the help of your fingers and ensure that it covers the entire scalp. You can also oil the length of the hair if needed.
- Once the entire scalp is oiled, it is very important to follow it with a massage.
- Massage your scalp gently for 5-10 minutes. When this is done, move on to step two.
Step 2: Inversion of the head.
- The aim is to hang your head upside down. Figure out the best way you are comfortable.
- Bring all your hair down as well.
- Continue in this position for about 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, very slowly come back to the upright position.
- Once you follow these two steps to a T, you can keep the oil in the scalp for an hour or two and wash off with a chemical-free herbal shampoo.
Inversion Positions & Choosing The Right Oil
Two things you need to pay attention to when doing this technique is the position in which you choose to be and the kind of oil you apply before inverting your head.
When choosing an oil, it is important to choose an Ayurvedic hair oil for hair growth. This is because, if you choose an oil that does not work well for your hair, it might end up damaging your hair and negate the effect of the inversion. Hence, make sure that you choose an organic oil for hair growth like coconut oil, almond oil, etc. You could also use hair oil that has a mix of ingredients like Brahmi, aloe vera, alma, etc. The benefits of all these natural ingredients will provide that extra boost to hair growth.
The way you decide to invert your head also matters. This is because if you decide to do a headstand but are not very familiar with it, you may put yourself at risk of injuring yourself.
Some of the different kinds you can try are:
- Lay down in bed and hang your head down from the edge of the bed.
- Put your head between your legs before the level of your heart.
- Try a headstand only if you are an expert at it.
- Try different yoga poses that allow your head to hang upside down comfortably.
- Once you have figured out how exactly to do it, the next question is how often should you be doing this inversion method.
How often should you do it?
The inversion method should be done no more than a week in a month. Ideally, you can do it twice or thrice a week but make sure that you leave at least 3 weeks gap before you repeat it. Your scalp may get used to getting that rush of blood if you do it too often.
Many risks may come with this technique. Keep reading to know the things you should be careful about.
Things You Should Be Careful About When Doing The Inversion Method
- Your physical capability: As mentioned, if you decide to try a difficult position to invert your head, there are chances that you might hurt yourself. Ensure that you pick positions that are fully comfortable for you.
- Avoid it if you have heart disease or BP: When you invert, the sudden rush of blood might aggravate existing conditions like heart problems and cause high blood pressure. Avoid it if you have a history of such diseases.
- Stop the process if you feel uneasy: Because of the blood flow, you might feel dizzy, nauseous, and uneasy. If this happens, return to the normal position slowly.
- Avoid if you have other injuries or conditions: if you have any spinal injury, vertigo, ear infection, etc, it is best to avoid this technique. Pregnant women are also advised to not do this technique.
If you are careful about this method and follow every step to a T, then the chances of anything going wrong is little to none and the chances of a boost in hair growth are high.
One of the reasons why this method did not work on many people was because of the wrong execution of the method. Many people didn’t do it for the right duration and many others only inverted their heads without oiling the scalp. Applying warm oil to the scalp is one of the key factors of this technique. If you choose the right kind of Ayurvedic hair oil for hair growth, you can even amplify the results.
Tru Hair’s organic oil for hair growth contains a blend of Ayurvedic ingredients like Brahmi, bhringraj, aloe vera, hibiscus, onion, and much more. These ingredients help boost hair growth by giving the hair nutrients. This Tru Hair Oil also comes with the world’s first Ayurvedic oil heater that makes the whole process hassle-free. With the Tru Heater, you can get warm oil in under 4 minutes. Make the right choice and give this simple hair growth hack a try with the help of Tru Hair Oil.
Dr. Tambe (Ayurvedic Practioner)
Dr. Tambe is an Ayurvedic Consultant, practicing in Satara City, Maharashtra for the last 45 years.He comes from a long line of Ayurvedic doctors. His grandfather and father were both Vaidyas, therefore he wanted to continue the family legacy.This year, his family will celebrate 100 years of Ayurvedic service