So you’ve decided to take the plunge and grow out your hair. Congratulations! It’s definitely a process, but it’s so worth it when your locks reach their desired length. To make the journey a little less daunting, we’ve put together a simple “weekly hair care routine” guide to help you keep your tresses looking gorgeous every week. Keep reading for our top tips!
Step-by-step weekly hair care routine
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t give much thought to your hair care regimen. After all, shampooing and conditioning are pretty straightforward, right? WRONG. There is a lot more to hair care than just siding up your strands. In fact, taking proper care of your hair requires a bit of effort and knowledge. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. Here is a step-by-step guide to creating the perfect hair care regimen for healthy, happy hair.
Start with a clean slate.
Make sure to shampoo and condition your hair at least twice-thrice a week to remove dirt, oil, and build-up. If you have particularly oily or dry hair, you may need to shampoo and condition more (or less) frequently.
Treat your hair right.
In addition to shampooing and conditioning, give your hair some extra love with weekly deep conditioning treatments and monthly hot oil treatments. These will help keep your hair hydrated and promote healthy growth.
Protect your hair from the elements.
When you’re spending time outdoors, make sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your hair from sun damage. And when it’s cold out, be sure to cover your hair with a hat or scarf to prevent breakage from windy conditions.
Give your hair some extra TLC.
Whether you prefer to DIY or over-the-counter hair masks, you should apply them once a week. Just like skin, hair needs some extra care on weekends too. The damage that pollution can cause can be irreversible so it’s always advisable to
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your hair remains healthy and strong all year round!
Basics of the weekly hair care routine
A healthy hair routine is essential for keeping your hair healthy and looking its best. But with so many products on the market, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are the basics of a good hair care routine:
Shampoo & Condition
Shampooing and conditioning are the first steps in any hair care regimen. The shampoo helps to remove dirt and build-up from your hair, while conditioner replenishes lost moisture and nutrients. Be sure to choose products that are right for your hair type – if you have oily hair, look for a clarifying shampoo; if you have dry hair, opt for a moisturizing conditioner.
Use a leave-in treatment to protect your hair from damage. If you have Frizzy hair, look for a product that contains silicone or oil; if you have thin or fine hair, look for a product that will add volume or texture.
Style your hair as desired but if you’re using heat-styling tools, be sure to use a heat protection serum beforehand to help prevent damage. Heat styling can be damaging to your hair, so try to limit the use of curling irons, straighteners, and blow dryers.
Just like your skin, your hair is susceptible to sun damage. Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause your hair to become dry, brittle, and discoloured. In extreme cases, sun damage can even lead to hair loss.
Get a trim every 6-8 weeks
There are a lot of different hair care routines out there, but one thing that most experts agree on is that you should get a trim every 4 weeks.
- Trimming your hair helps to get rid of split ends, which can damage your hair and make it look unhealthy.
- It also helps to keep your hair looking its best by giving it a nice, clean shape.
- And finally, trimming your hair can actually make it grow faster. This is because when you get rid of split ends, your hair is able to better absorb the nutrients from your hair care regimen, which encourages healthy growth.
So if you want healthy, strong, and fast-growing hair, make sure to schedule a trim every 4 weeks.
Deep condition once a week
Have you ever wondered why your hair always looks so healthy and shiny in those shampoo commercials? One big reason is that the models in those commercials have probably just deep conditioned their hair!
Deep conditioning is an important part of any regular hair care routine, and it should be done at least once a week. This hair care treatment helps to replenish lost moisture, repair damage, and add shine.
- If you have dry or frizzy hair, deep conditioning can help to make your hair more manageable.
- If you have coloured hair, deep conditioning can help to extend the life of your color.
- And if you have thin or fine hair, deep conditioning can help to add volume and body.
Let your hair air dry
While blow dryers can be convenient, there are a few reasons why you might want to consider letting your hair air dry instead.
- For starters, heat damage is one of the leading causes of hair breakage.
- By giving your hair a break from heated styling tools, you can help to reduce the amount of damage that your hair sustains over time.
- Additionally, air-drying your hair can also help to preserve your hair’s natural moisture levels. This is especially important if you have naturally dry or curly hair, as these hair types are more prone to dehydration.
- It is much gentler on your hair than blow drying, so take advantage of it whenever you can.
Note: If you must blow dry your hair, use the lowest setting possible and hold the blow dryer at least 6 inches away from your head.
Protect your hair from pollution
We all know that pollution is bad for our skin, but did you know it can be just as damaging to your hair? Just like your skin, your hair is exposed to harmful pollutants every day. Over time, these pollutants can build up on your hair, causing it to become dry and brittle. In addition, pollution can also strip away natural oils, leaving your hair feeling stripped and lifeless.
Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to protect your hair from pollution.
- First, be sure to incorporate a clarifying shampoo into your regular hair care routine. Clarifying shampoos help to remove buildup from the hair, keeping it looking and feeling healthy.
- In addition, try to avoid heat styling as much as possible. Heat styling can cause further damage to already brittle hair. Instead, opt for air-drying or using cool settings on your hair dryer and curling iron.
Following these simple tips can help you to achieve healthy, beautiful hair that’s easy to maintain. Incorporate these hacks into your weekly routine and enjoy the benefits of healthy hair!
Hair care mistakes to avoid
If you’re like most people, you probably have a regular hair care routine that you stick to week after week. However, even the best hair care routines can sometimes fall into a rut, resulting in dull, lifeless hair. To avoid this, here are seven hair care mistakes to avoid in your weekly hair care routine:
Even if you don’t have time for a full shampoo and conditioner routine, be sure to at least apply conditioner to your hair. Conditioner helps to hydrate and protect your hair, keeping it looking its best.
Overusing heat styling tools
Heat styling tools can be damaging to your hair if used too often. If you must use them frequently, be sure to use a heat protection serum and lower the temperature setting on the tool.
Not trimming regularly
Regular trims are essential for keeping your hair looking its best. split ends can make your hair look dry and damaged, so be sure to get a trim every six to eight weeks.
Washing too often
Washing your hair too often can strip it of its natural oils, leading to dryness and frizz. Aim to wash your hair two to three times per week, or less if possible. Aim to wash your hair every 2-3 days, or even just once a week if you can manage.
Brushing wet hair
Wet hair is more susceptible to damage than dry hair, so it’s important to avoid brushing it too vigorously. Use a wide-toothed comb or brush with soft bristles, and take care not to tug or pull at your hair.
Not using protection from the sun
Just as the sun can damage your skin, it can also damage your hair. Be sure to wear a hat or use a leave-in conditioner with sunscreen when spending time outdoors.
Using products with the wrong ingredients
Many people are not familiar with the hair care ingredients that are available to them, and as a result, they end up using products that are not suitable for their hair. This can damage hair and lead to hair loss. There are a few things to consider when choosing hair care products.
- First, you need to be familiar with your hair type. Different hair types require different products. If you are not sure what hair type you have, you can consult with a stylist.
- Once you know your hair type, you can research which ingredients are best for it. If you use products with ingredients that are not suitable for your hair, you may end up damaging it and causing hair loss.
Therefore, it is important to be familiar with the ingredients in hair care products and to choose ones that are appropriate for your hair type.
You can also take our 3-factor hair analysis which takes into consideration your hair type, body type, and demography to determine the right ingredients for your hair and scalp. It is developed by Ayurvedic doctors and will help you understand the ideal ingredients for your hair in just 2 minutes.
By avoiding these mistakes in your hair care regimen you can keep your hair looking its best. With a little effort, you can enjoy healthy, beautiful hair for years to come.
DIY Masks for weekly hair care routine
A good hair care routine at home is important for keeping your hair healthy and looking its best. While there are a variety of hair care products available on the market, sometimes the best solutions can be found right in your kitchen. Here are three easy DIY hair masks that you can make with ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- For dry hair, try a mask made with one ripe avocado, one egg, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mash the avocado and combine it with the other ingredients, then apply the mask to your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- For frizzy hair, try a mask made with half a ripe banana, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of olive oil. Mash the banana and combine it with the other ingredients, then apply to your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- For damaged hair, try a mask made with one-quarter cup of plain yoghurt, two tablespoons of honey, and one tablespoon of coconut oil. Combine all ingredients and apply to your hair, then cover with a shower cap and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing.
Each of these masks can be used once per week as part of your regular hair care regimen. By taking the time to give your hair some extra love, you’ll notice a difference in how it looks and feels.
A healthy hair routine is an important part of managing your hair. By taking the time to care for your hair on a weekly basis, you can keep it looking its best.
So, there you have it! A simple guide to a weekly hair care routine. We hope this helps keep your locks looking and feeling their best all week long. If you’re looking for more hacks and tips, be sure to follow our hair care tips page. Thanks for reading!
Be sure to check back soon for more informative blogs like this one and follow us on Quora.
Reviewed By Dr. Tambe (Ayurvedic Practioner) Dr. Tambe is an Ayurvedic Consultant, practicing in Satara City, Maharashtra for the last 45 years. He comes from a long line of Ayurvedic doctors. His grandfather and father were both Vaidyas, therefore he wanted to continue the family legacy. This year, his family will celebrate 100 years of Ayurvedic service.