You could be losing 20 strands of hair a day or 200, but in both cases, you panic. Most of us have been wired to think that any number of hair falling off your scalp is a bad thing. However, it is very important to know that some hair is meant to fall out. The fine line between knowing what the type of hair fall is important.
We often wonder if there is any way to stop any number of hair from falling out fully. Not only is this an impossible dream, but it shouldn’t be that way either. You need to know how the hair growth cycle works to understand the logic better.
How does the hair growth cycle work?
Hair growth happens in 4 stages- anagen, catagen, telogen, and exogen.
Anagen: This is the growing stage of hair which lasts for about 3-5 years. A majority, about 90%, of your hair is at this stage at any time.
Catagen: When the anagen phase ends, there comes a short period (around 10 days) where the hair follicles shrink, and hair growth slows. Only 5% of your hair is in this phase at any time.
Telogen: This is the resting phase where no changes happen. The 10% to 15% of your hair in this phase does not grow or fall out.
Exogen: This is the phase we keep trying to run away from. Also known as the shedding phase, it will start shedding when the hair cycle reaches the end. It lasts for 2-5 months.
As long as your scalp goes through the normal hair growth cycle, the exogen phase will exist. This means that you have some amount of hair fall no matter what. The question is, how much of this some amount is normal.
What is considered normal hair fall?
Experts say that it is normal to lose 50-100 strands a day. If this is where you are, there is nothing to panic about.
You may notice more hair fall due to stress, reactions to certain medicines or treatments, etc. However, hair loss is usually normal when these external factors come to a halt. Hair loss also depends on your hair care routine. If you have a habit of heat styling the hair daily or do chemical treatments, you may notice more hair loss.
When does it become extreme?
Drain full of hair at all times? Bunch of hair on the pillow every morning when you wake up? A lot of loose hair in your hand every time you run your hands through the hair? These are all signs of extreme hair fall.
When you notice these signs, you must pay attention to what might be causing it and try remedies to bring your hair fall back to a normal amount. The causes of hair fall are many. For example:
- Heat styling
- Harmful chemicals like Parabens, LLPs, Sulphates
- Nutritional deficiency
- Medical conditions
If you can identify the cause of your extreme hair fall, it becomes easier to treat it as well. Depending on the cause and how long it takes for you to identify it, the permanence of the damage also differs. For instance, identifying the earliest sign of hair loss caused by stress can be reversed, provided a good hair care routine is followed, and measures are taken to tackle stress. However, if ignored, the hair loss will increase over time and could even reach a point beyond repair.
Identifying hair loss at the earliest is actually a key to treating it because the chances of reversing the damage are multifold when the damage is at its earliest. Once you notice the signs of hair fall, you can try some of these treatment options listed below.
How to control hair fall
- Use the right kind of products: Haircare products like shampoos, conditioners, oil, etc., are things we use regularly. Switching to products that benefit you and do not harm your hair is one of the first and easiest things to do when dealing with hair problems. Most over-the-counter products contain harmful chemicals that cause more damage than good. Make the switch to products free of Parabens, Sulphates, LLPs, and other harsh chemicals. The Tru Hair range of products is all free from harmful ingredients. They only contain beneficial Ayurvedic ingredients that target specific hair problems and protect the hair from further damage.
- Give it that extra care: Sometimes, following a simple wash-dry routine isn’t enough. When your hair needs special attention, you need to provide it through an added step like warm oil treatment. Indulge in a relaxing and nourishing warm oil treatment using the Tru Hair Oil with Heater. The blend of 13 novel ingredients contains everything that your hair needs for that special care.
- Make sure you are eating right: Just like the rest of your body, you need to give your hair the necessary nutrients as well. If you are not getting the nutrients from your diet, we suggest using hair supplements. Tru Hair offers personalised supplements that is made based on the nutrients you lack. Take the 3-Factor Hair Analysis to get your very own customised supplement. Our body uses the nutrients we get from food for important body functions before distributing them to the hair. Hence, the best thing is to take supplements specifically made for the hair, like the personalised one from Tru Hair.
- Problem-specific products: Determine why you are losing hair. If it is because of protein deficiency, use the Tru Hair Protein Hair Serum and the Tru Hair Natural Biotin Shampoo. If you face dandruff, use the products that contain ingredients to tackle dandruff, like the Tru Hair Tea Tree Shampoo. Well, luckily there exists an Ayurvedic ingredient for every hair problem. So, pay attention to the ingredients list and pick wisely.
- Visit a doctor: Sometimes, your hair fall is caused by medical conditions like alopecia areata, thyroid condition, anaemia, etc. Hence, it is best to visit a doctor and get medical treatment in situations like these.
Hair fall to a certain extent is expected and normal. However, paying close attention when you cross the line is very important. Always be on the lookout for signs, and the minute you notice them, begin damage control. Even better, be on the precautionary road rather than wait for the problem to show up.
Practices like oiling your hair weekly, using an overnight hair mask, etc., can ensure that your hair stays protected from damage and hair fall. Use the Ayurvedic products of TruHair to ensure that your hair is healthy and free-flowing at all times.